Thursday, November 10, 2016

Blog #7 Virtual Identity

Someone's virtual identity is basically the presence one holds in the online community whether it's Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, LinkedIn or even a dating website. With all these different platforms there is a greater potential for one single person to have multiple identities depending on which site they're engaging with. The way people communicate on these sites is a big difference as well.
With emoji's they allow the younger generation to express different feelings in a more simple way which actually might seem more complex to older generations. The world of emoji's is also growing rapidly it seems like with almost every new Apple software update newer emoji's are being added, this leads to more ways of expression for users. There's also a new kind of emoji called a 'Bitmoji' these allow users to customize an avatar and send different messages or expressions with them. There are so many different variations of things like this and each one could have multiple meanings.
Bitmoji's
Regular emoji's



Personally I think my virtual identity definitely varies depending on which platform you're looking at. My Instagram and Twitter are mostly associated with friends or people similar in age to me, so posts on these sites are more carefree or goofy compared to Facebook where my posts would be more family appropriate since I have a lot of family or parents friends on their. My virtual identity on LinkedIn is very professional with links to my publications, awards I've won and courses I've taken in college.

Overall though, I maintain the same point of views, behavior and attitude (give or take some swear words) throughout my virtual identity on the various social media platforms I have. I wouldn't say there's much of a difference from my real identity and virtual identity. I personally know some people who are completely different on social media compared to real life, people who are very shy in person are usually a lot more outgoing on the computer because they're less afraid of being judged or don't have to deal with a face to face confrontation.

I found a great article from CNN discussing virtual identity and many more different aspects to the topic called "Identity in a virtual world" by Michelle Jana Chan. It says how studies do suggest that virtual environments can be a way of expressing a different side of personalities or escaping the social constraints of real life and that people tend to seem 'less ordinary' than their real selves.
I completely agree with both of those statements, a lot of people try to increase their sexual appeal or personality on social media platforms compared to real life and they might also express more opinions behind a computer screen rather than a face-to-face conversation like I mentioned before.

Is my intelligence artificial my answer is no. For a human our intelligence is somewhat pure, we have the ability to make decisions, recognize speech and possess a visual perception whereas artificial intelligence is referred to as giving a computer those human characteristics. Computer scientists have been fairly successful with this, a great example is Siri created by Apple. Siri is referred to as a built-in "intelligent assistant" that allow users to speak commands in order to operate the mobile device. I'm sure any iPhone owner has also asked Siri random questions and it has different answers built into it which can be very comical, but this feature does lack a lot of humanistic characteristics a big one would be things like emotions and just a physical presence.

BuzzFeed made a funny/informative video called "4 Things You Need To Ask Siri," for an example of this artificial intelligence.

No comments:

Post a Comment