Monday, December 12, 2016

Essasy Exhibit Reponse

Our final days spent in the classroom we had the opportunity to preview our final essays in an exhibit piece for the rest of the class. This allowed us to voice our approach and the various angles we planned on taking in our final essay to get some feedback from fellow students and also our professor. 

The first exhibit I viewed was Ryan's, he plans on talking about repurposing digital media and who would have authorship. The first picture is his first main point which is music, he used the example of Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke explaining how the beat was similar to another popular song and the process of the lawsuit he went through. Even though Thicke lost his lawsuit, Ryan said how he thinks whoever repurposes the music or creates a remix of a song, that person should be deemed the creator even if they're using someone else's song.   
 The same thing was then said about videos on social media like YouTube, people are recreating videos all the time on sites like these by adding sound effects or making the original work into Gifs or memes. An example Ryan used here was a video of Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton singing a song during a debate which I saw on Facebook (it's hilarious), but the question is who would have proper rights to things like this because the video of the debate got recreated probably hundreds of times, so would all those people have individual credit or the original post of the actual debate.
All around Ryan's exhibit sparked a lot of good discussion that I know will help him when he's writing his final essay, I think it'll be really interesting when it's all done.

Another exhibit I viewed and found interesting was Jacob's, he was discussing video games and violence which is always a hot topic. He gave examples of games that were considered "violence for fun" like Grand Theft Auto because it's not very realistic to most who play it, I my opinion it was a good example of violence for fun because not everyone is going to go around stealing cars, getting in high-speed chases or killing prostitutes. Games like these encourage violence and then there are games that have more have a solid storyline like military/war games which obviously contain violence the examples he showed had lots of blood and guts that made me cringe a little. Games like these don't appeal to everyone and are more of an accomplishment based game instead of strictly just killing people because you advance to different levels and can collect tools or even save people in them.

Since Jacob picked such a hot topic he's going to have a lot of research from other people to go off plus when I was viewing his exhibit me and a few other students asked him different questions which I hoped helped him develop different ideas as well. He has an endless amount of different angles he can take and talk about so I think his final essay is going to be pretty interesting as well.


I talked to pretty much everyone who showed exhibits on Friday and saw some really great ideas like Anna's on the different types of electronic literature and all the advancements people are making with that such as making them more interactive which I didn't know anything about so that was cool to talk with her about. Mike M. who's in my group went over the Evolution of Gaming from the 1960's to early 2000's (I think) which was another great idea because seeing all the different advancements in technology was amazing, it reminded us how far we've come from the early PlayStations and Xbox's to how they are now.

Overall, I really liked this final exhibit with the class because I got a lot of feedback from classmates and Dr. Justus that has helped me develop different ideas, talk more about my original ideas and finish my final essay with ease. I hope everyone had the same kind of experience I did with this because it was very beneficial to me, (Keep this final essay exhibit around!)

No comments:

Post a Comment